Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Protecting the Innocent

This morning, I was driving up my mother’s stony, wooded drive, when a fawn and doe dashed across my path. Then, to my great astonishment, the fawn turned, took several steps toward my vehicle, which was humming loudly, and looked at me. Meanwhile, mother doe paced and backed away, trying in vain to draw the little fawn away quickly. It wasn’t until I moved the car forward that the little deer seemed at all concerned and then it just walked away. 

It then struck me, as my precious baby gave me several gentle pokes, that this little deer was so like my little boy would be. My little boy will be curious, innocent and unknowing of the ways of the world. He will want to investigate and discover and he will lack the instinct to recognize danger.

Several days ago, I heard a heart-wrenching story of a family tragedy. It involved young children’s innocence being shattered and sent me into somewhat of a panic. There are so many predators in this world. Sometimes it seems that every news story is filled with wicked people who perpetrate their evil acts on the innocent.

Now, as my belly grows and my little man becomes more real to me, I realize why nothing in this world would send my mother into a panic faster than not knowing where one of her children were in a store. What can a mother do to keep her children completely safe?

I intend to protect my children with everything I have. I will guard them and shelter them. I will give them truth with which to combat evil. I will try to put them in wholesome environments and give them godly influences. I must do my best and… leave the rest to the Lord.

If I truly believe that He loves us and His plan for my child’s life is perfect, then I can rest in that knowledge. Yes, do everything you can, but then leave the unknowns at His feet. I know this will be something I struggle with every day, every week, every year, as I raise our children, but with God’s help I hope to learn to rely fully on His will being done in our little ones’ lives.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6) 

No comments:

Post a Comment