Monday, August 24, 2009

Post-Pageant Surgery

An article caught my eye today on Foxnews.com It concerned beauty pageant winners and plastic surgery. I was expecting them to speak about contestants undergoing many surgeries in preparation for a pageant. I never watch pageants myself, but I can only assume, in this day and age, that little viewers see is real.

What shocked and surprised me were the comments that many contestants have surgeries done after they have won a major pageant. The article said,

  "Everyone has an excuse like ‘my uncle died’ or ‘I have family issues’ and go away and get something done even after they win. I don’t get it; if it was good enough to win don’t mess with the formula.”

  I don’t get it either! How can it be that in our culture, beauty standards have become so high that even someone who wins a Miss USA title still feels compelled to go under the knife? How can we reach young women to let them realize that these standards of perfection are not only unrealistic, but unhealthy.

  Every woman struggles with her self-image from time to time. But it helps to put these thoughts in perspective when I hear that even a woman who has earned the praise of the world for her beauty still looks in the mirror and thinks about what needs to change.

  More and more, average women are opting to have cosmetic surgery done. When I see average women who feel that they must alter their natural body, I feel as though Satan has won a huge battle. What insecurities and fears go into such a decision!

  Often it seems as though married women deal with the issue of continued attraction of their husbands. Imagine the desperation as a woman grows older and must continue these surgeries and alterations while her husband’s eyes still wander.

  My husband often tells me I am beautiful. We are still newlyweds (two years and counting!) and in spite of my growing baby bump he misses few opportunities of complimenting me. I know my body has drastically changed in the last few months, but he still seems to think I am beautiful.

  I wish more women could feel the security that lies in a relationship, not based on physical attraction, but a meeting of hearts, minds, bodies and souls. There is a precious caring that I experience from my husband that transcends how I look. I know if the Lord allows us to grow old together, our love will count for more than droops and sags. It’s a tragedy that our culture puts so much pressure on women, and offer so many visual enticements for men, that few people experience the rest that can be found in the unconditional love between a man and woman brought together by the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment