Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Grandmother's New Job

As a more recent entrant into the world of staying at home, I am finding great joy in little things like keeping up with the laundry, making sure the house is clean and going to the grocery store. My favorite time to grocery shop is on Monday morning. It’s the perfect time to beat the rush and prepare for the week ahead.

 As I peruse the aisles, I am waking up to the fact that there is an enormous amount of grandmothers and kids right along side of me! It seems apparent to me that many women who “would never leave their baby in day care,” are quite willing to pass the responsibility along to Grandma. (I realize there are women who must work outside the home. I am speaking of those who choose to.)

Women have said such things to me as, “I could never stay home all day! I would go crazy!” and in the same breath, “My mother wants to take care of my baby. She loves it.”

To be sure, I love all of my baby’s grandmothers and hope to make each one a big part of our baby’s life. But to ask one of them to run my home for even several days a week seems to be turning motherhood upside down.

Why is it culturally ok for someone to care for the children as long as they are retired or have extra time? Is motherhood really such a second-class job?

 I grew up with a wonderful stay-at-home mother who was an amazing example to me of the joy that can be found in the home. Now, with my little one on the way, it breaks my heart to think of missing out on his little growing up years. How easily women give up those precious moments!

 The question is not “Is the child receiving quality care?” Certainly, grandmothers, with their years of wisdom, are well-equipped to handle the responsibilities. But, instead, the question is “Are we passing along our God-given charges to someone else?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment