Friday, September 25, 2009

Do's and Don'ts

There are a lot of things I do not do. I don’t drink. I don’t smoke. You are probably thinking, “Good, your pregnant!” But I mean I never do. I also do not have cable, rarely watch PG-13 or R rated movies, and do not listen to much secular music. I strive to dress modestly. It all sounds good, but what is my heart attitude? Am I doing it to be praised by men? Or am I doing it because God has convicted me that it is His will for my life.

If we are honest, we will have to admit that God leaves some of these choices up to us. Wouldn’t it be easy if the Lord wrote down exactly what was modest and immodest? No more quandaries about bathing suits! So many things that Christians argue about are simply not clear in the Bible. We can glean principles and do our best, but some things He leaves to our conscience.

For instance, my husband and I do not have cable. This is a conscience issue for me because I know I am weak when it comes to TV. I know I would often be in the family room watching the Food Network instead of tending to my household. I also feel desensitized to the world after I watch tv for a while. Does that make me better than any of you with cable? Absolutely not! For some of you, you might not be drawn away from your family at all by the call of television. But for me, I know the Lord’s will is for us to keep it to an occasional movie from Netflix.

Then there is music. I love music! But I restrict myself to mostly praise music and some classical. Do I think that all other music is sinful? NO! Some of my favorite memories of my husband and I getting to know each other involve a convertible with the top down and two crazy kids singing along to oldies. But as an emotional woman, the last thing I need during a stressful day is an angsty teenager belting out her anger and frustration in my ear. Music affects me emotionally and I am aware of that. Hence, I try to stay uplifted and encouraged with my choice of tunes.

I am striving to remember 1 Cor. 10:23 “All things are lawful, but not all things are helpful. All things are lawful, but not all things build up.” Let’s be aware of our own weaknesses as well as the weaknesses of others. And let’s try not to impose our own convictions on others. After all, the focus should be on Jesus, right?


6 comments:

  1. Amen - your family sounds a lot like ours. It is good to know what boundaries we need in order to live a Godly life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wwe all have our weaknesses. but our weaknesses can be areas of victory when we submit them to Yahweh. My weakness is "Chriatian" romance stories. They were clean and pure but they were filling a place in my heart that Yahweh wanted my husband to fill. It was not till I left them that I began to see how wonderfully romatic my husband is..in his own quiet and clumsy way. I adore his attentions now and would never wish for the hollowness of a book again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post!!! Beautiful words and each one true and kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AND....I just saw you live in Western PA...I do as well! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sage advice! It's easy to get swept up in our convictions and try to force them on other people, taking on the "holier than thou" attitude. Thanks for the gentle reminder. = )
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I could possibly agree with you any more, dear. I've been working on an article about modesty... and it's made me look at it in a completely new way! Do we dress differently just so other people will notice, or because other "super Christians" do it? Or do we earnestly want to be humble and meek? These are important questions we all have to ask ourselves.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete