Thursday, September 3, 2009

Apple Butter and Hard Work!

This past week I spent a good three days making apple butter. I am sitting here looking at all of the lovely little jars that will be my Christmas presents to our very large, extended family. My plan is to give the apple butter, along with a loaf of freshly baked cinnamon swirl bread. However, as I am due in December, that part of the plan is up to my sweet baby boy and the Lord.

My first foray into the realm of canning was intimidating, but highly rewarding. My mother’s apple tree produced a bumper crop this year and that gave me the idea for frugal Christmas presents. It was so satisfying to watch those mounds of rosy red apples, just picked, turn into jars of yummy goodness.

But as I labored over my project, I fell again into morning sickness mode. This tends to happen when I do not rest and keep up my strength.

I just want to say, thank the Lord for the ability to work! I know that if something happens to my health, God will give me the ability to cope with being bed-ridden or unable to work hard.

Being pregnant has opened my eyes to how the Lord has created me to work hard! The frustration I felt, during the first three months, at not being able to do everything that needed done was incredible. Laying on the sofa, which sounds so good sometimes, was boring, unproductive and just plain terrible. And this from the girl who loves to read and write!

Lets thank the Lord for the labor that He gives us to do each day and for that satisfied feeling of a job well done.

Proverbs 31:31 Give her the fruit of her hands and let her own works praise her in the gates. 

4 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog and wanted to let you know that it was very encouraging :) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello! I just found your blog! :) I live in Western PA too. :)

    I have never made apple butter (I should though, my husband loves it) but I have made spiced peach butter not too long ago! lots of stirring...but totally worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... I love apple butter. Never made it though. I just keep thinkin' about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy! I hope a recipe's coming :)

    ReplyDelete